Friday 17 September 2010

Point of Information


A few of this blog's readers have been e-mailing or commenting to me on Anne Boleyn's age, pointing out that I have it wrong and that she was, in fact, born either in 1500 or 1501.

I am always very grateful that people feel like getting in touch and passing on information, but, in this case, I wanted to clarify that it's not that I am unaware that many historians argue that Anne Boleyn was born at the turn of the century, it's simply that I don't agree with them.

I've tackled the debate before, on the post The Age of Anne Boleyn, which you can read here.

Many thanks to all those who have been in touch!

6 comments:

  1. Gareth, your article presents a very good case for Anne being 28 at her death, based on the known facts (William Camden and Jane Dormer).

    Want to tackle Katheryn Howards’s age? There’s a gamut of opinion (running from ages 16 or so to 21) about how old she was at the time of her death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm glad you are getting so much interest!

    Lovely drawing (or engraving?) there, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roland H., I'm not sure, but now I feel as if I might have to rise to the challenge! :)

    Thanks, Matterhorn - I think it's 18th century.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The engraving is by Wenceslaus Hollar, and is from 1649.


    They were mass produced back in the day, and I was lucky to obtain one a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roland, thank you. That's fascinating! I didn't know it was from the 17th century, at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again Gareth,

    If you go to the National Portrait Gallery's web site and search through their online archives (by typing in 'Anne Boleyn' in the search box), you'll find the Hollar print (though there's doubt this Holbein image is actually of Anne), and others.

    I bought my copy on ebay (what can you not find there these days! LOL!) from a German dealer specializing in antique prints.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails